Thursday, November 22, 2007

10 lies about terrorism in NZ

I have been stuck on this entry for a long time. I'm still not completely happy with it but I'm posting it so I can move on.

  1. I have done a lot of research to make sure that this list reflects a well informed opinion.
  2. I am confident the arrest of 17 people on terrorism charges will discourage activists from carrying out violent acts.
  3. I am disappointed that the Solicitor General ruled against charging them under the terrorism act.
  4. The recorded conversations which mention assassination and acts of violence should be taken at face value. Activists don't say that kind of thing unless they mean to act on it. I never joke with my friends about anything I wouldn't actually do.
  5. The competence of the police in this case is unquestionable and I find it reassuring. The way the situation was handled has been positive for race relations.
  6. I believe that Maori activists pose a real threat to the safety of all New Zealanders.
  7. I can see how a sensible person would decide it was worthwhile to assassinate a New Zealand politician.
  8. I think that extremist groups are made up entirely of sensible people. I always support Tama Iti and understand his point of view.
  9. I think that the police are all sensible people. They certainly had a good reason to remove two avocados and return them later.
  10. I have no lingering sense of disquiet about what happened.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have never had a conversation on a telephone or in a public meeting about how a revolutionary organisation might overthrow the government.

I believe the New Zealand police as an organisation and especially individual police officers to be fair and unprejudiced.

I believe protection of human rights is one of the driving forces of our police force.

I can think of a way to justify locking children in a shed.

This kind of event is one of the great things about living in a democracy