Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough

I've had a cold/bronchitis/asthma since 1o September and I AM SICK OF IT. I got a nasty cold my last week at work, took the drugs to suppress the symptoms and just kept going. Maybe this was a mistake or possibly I would have had this kind of post-redundancy, sickness catching up with me anyway.

I've been to the doctor who annoys me twice (who I will call Dr WAM), the after-hours doctor once (A-H Dr) and finally today my favourite doctor (my Dr).

First Dr WAM told me that I had asthma with my cold and to take Ventolin. I had childhood asthma so this didn't come as too much of a surprise. Then when Ventolin stopped helping I went to the A-H Dr who told me I didn't have asthma anymore I had bronchitis (probably viral). Then when I still wasn't better two weeks later Dr WAM told me I had asthma, put me on a preventative (steroid) inhaler and basically told me I'd be taking it for the rest of my life. I found this depressing and frustrating. I have enough chronic health conditions already. I do not need another.

I finally got to see my Dr today. She has given me a referral for a chest x-ray to get done if my chest isn't feeling better in 2 weeks, given me a peak flow meter to use at home to monitor my lung capacity, changed the dose of the preventative and given me more information about it including a plan to come of it again. My Dr is lovely but she only works two days a week and not on school holidays.

I'm better than I was, which is better than I was before that, but I'm just not well DAMMIT.

No comments: