Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Wig out

The wonders of the internet - I began with a plan to pay my entry fee for the 2007-8 NZU WaM Nationals and ended up researching merkins.

NZU = New Zealand Ultimate (frisbee)
WaM = Women's and Men's
merkin = pubic wig

The tournament is scarey. I am in a team thrown together from people who want to play but aren't on any other team. So far I am the oldest in the team by 10 years. I fear I will be the slowest by 10 zippinesses too.

Merkins are less scarey if more bizarre and this site is kinda interesting.

4 comments:

Adrexia said...

Ahh, so you are in the Meatloaf team? Did you keep that as your team name? We changed our's to Athena. :)

I guess you guys must be being organised from elsewhere, because I haven't seen any mention of your team in ages. I was wondering whether it was still happening. Good to see it is. :)

Anonymous said...

Are they part of your team uniform?

RUTH said...

You will never know.

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad to hear you've signed up for a team Ruth. Tournaments are always a lot of fun, and I hope you'll see some of Ultimate at its very best. I think you will be surprised at how much everyone's game lifts at a tournament. You will most likely find yourself playing better than you ever thought you could. Trust me on that. :)

If I can offer some advice? I find that at tournaments it becomes very easy to get dehydrated: I drink continuously if possible. I tend to think that if I'm not periodically having to go to the bathroom, I'm probably risking dehydration and the attendant drop in performance.

Similarly, I don't break for any kind of substantial food. I have a decent-ish breakfast a couple of hours before play starts, and then I eat Up-and-Go or similar, and snack all day on nuts, bananas and muesli bars.

YMMV, but that's what works best for me. :)

- Mash'