Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Brown girl in the ring

Occasionally I realise that some of my fundamental assumptions were set when I was growing up in the seventies. Today I picked up a brown skirt that I've had for a while and never worn, thinking it would go well with the top I'd chosen and would be pleasantly warm. Then I thought "but I can't because I have no brown shoes".
Let me explain my illogical reasoning:
  • Black is a base to which other colours can be added but it doesn't count as a colour.
  • Brown is a base to which other colours can be added but it doesn't count as a colour.
  • You can't have two bases.

Ergo I can't wear black shoes with a brown skirt.

Fortunately I remembered that not only am I a biped but also, sometime after the eighties when black was the new brown, brown became a colour.

My fashion logic worked - at the bus stop I saw a friend who is about 10 years younger than me. She was also wearing a brown skirt and black boots.

1 comment:

JK said...

I think some would argue that "fashion logic" is an oxymoron.... tee hee. My K wouldn't... and I completely agree with your color reasoning. :-)