Thursday, September 03, 2009

Running with words

Look I'm posting! I'm not apologising for not posting. I have had a lot of things to put here but they haven't been making it out my fingers.

So what's going on with me?

I've just become host mother to a 16 year-old German AFS student, B. My mental images of this relationship owe rather too much to the Alien movies but I'm not actually expecting him to come bursting out my chest.

Now one of our children is 6'2" I don't think I can keep using "the midgets" as a collective noun for them. Any suggestions?

H is waiting for an operation on her shoulder. The first of many she'll have in the next 10 years. for a congentital condition called MHE. Four months ago they said her operation would be in the next six months. Waiting sucks but I'd prefer universal public healthcare to the alternatives.

My neurological oddity is officially unimportant.

I had the swine flu and 2 months later I finally think I'm totally over it. In June, just before I got sick, I set a goal to go for a 20-30 minute run/walk at least fortnightly from the middle of August. When I set the goal it seemed very, very easy and very, very far away. Today I actaully started and the achievement has made me blog.

6 comments:

Karen said...

Of course, in a more traditional mythos, B would spring fully formed from your forehead or your thigh... also a pretty alarming concept...

No suggestions for a name for your housemates... though it strikes me as sort of Guliverian... sharing a house with Lilliputianns and Brobdingnagians all at once...

Karen said...

And well done you for the running!! Awesome!!!!!!! (motivation is so hard when you lose the habit)

(I had grotses and slant as my word verifications which seem peculiarly word-like... eprhaps the internet is talking to me?)

Mary said...

Hooray! You're back!

Fionnaigh said...

Yay! I'm glad your neurological thing is unimportant. And yay, also, for AFS. We had several students and it was so cool. I still think of the Swedish student we had when I was 10 as my brother... he has been back to visit and we have visited him, and he is coming here again next year with his partner and 2 little kids :)

Maire said...

Younglings?

I'm very glad the neurological thing was unimportant.

Sorry to hear about the operations for H. I'm thinking supportive thoughts for her.

Adrexia said...

You may know this already, but Sam's little sister Miriam just got back from AFS in Peru. She loved it. :)