Sunday, January 07, 2007

Remember a catchy tune

I am very, very tired. Last night I couldn't sleep and eventually gave up for a while to be woken a couple of hours later by our alarm clock. Usually in the weekends and when I'm with the girls I nap when they do so for the last couple of weeks I've had a nap most afternoons. But after last night's experience I am trying to stay awake this afternoon to make sure I sleep tonight.

I am also slightly stressed about the new nanny starting tomorrow, the state of the house, D having just left for America for three weeks, having committed to things I have no babysitter for.

Slightly stressed, very, very tired mother is not a pretty sight and H & K are great at picking up on the insanity vibes but not yet old enough to understand that keeping a low profile would be the best response.

Last night when I had given up sleeping for a while I was surfing the web, not, I admit, the most soporific pastime but it was there. And pondering my inability to remember music and thinking that I'd once read a name for the condition but I couldn't find it. What I did find is a test used by people studying amusia, the inability to hear music.

If you're interested in trying the test yourself use this link, they are particularly interested in testing families so if you are related to me your results would be of extra value.

I scored very close to average on the test (25/30 & 27/30) which interested me. D will tell, at length if you'll listen, about my inability to sing a tune. It isn't because I can't sing a tune and I'm not tone deaf, it is because I can't remember most tunes. For example yesterday I was trying to sing the Buzz O'Bumble song and I couldn't remember the tune past the first two lines. I can remember the words but not the tune.

There is an up side to this - someone can say "Hey Mickey you're so fine" to me without leaving the tune stuck in my brain for the rest of the day. Probably unlike you [cue evil laughter].

No comments: