Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Movie review - An Inconvenient Truth

Yesterday I went to An Inconvenient Truth, a documentary about Al Gore, the presentation he has given hundreds of times about global warming, and global warming itself.

Al Gore is the hero of the film and it presents him as larger than life (and not just because we were sitting near the front of the theatre).

It is aimed at a non-scientific, American audience and occaisionally that grates - I wanted all the graphs to have scales and titles, I wanted to read all the words on the slides and I wanted his "we" to include me.

As Helene Wong wrote in the Listener:

By all accounts, he’s got the science mostly right, though it’s a bit bemusing to hear that rising waters have led to the evacuation of Tuvaluans to New Zealand, and to see on the world maps which appear at regular intervals that, alarmingly, sometimes we’re there and sometimes we’re not. Or maybe it’s just their way of making a point about the tides.

It is a great movie and I recommend it to everyone except particularly pedantic, scientific kiwis who are sceptical about climate change.

It is a powerful message well presented. It made me go home and change what I do.

(For what is really happenning in Tuvalu you can check out this article or this longer more recent one. Sadly from these I learnt that what I'd read about NZ offering to take everyone from Tuvalu when it sinks is not true.)

2 comments:

JK said...

You got to see a movie? I'm so jealous. I haven't been to a movie in YEARS. I do want to see the Al Gore one. I try to do what I can and I wish it were easier to be more green. I try to work from home as often as possible to save the gas/environment. I also try to reduce (and reuse and recycle) as much as possible. Fortunately it's very easy to recycle where I live, but Reduce is such an important R.

RUTH said...

The first movie I saw after H & K were born was Lord of the Rings: Return of the King when they were about 1. I made the effort to go to it because it was filmed here, I know people who worked on it and I liked the first two Lord of the Rings movies. I didn't see another for ages.

I think we first had a babysitter when they were about 20 months. It made an enormous difference to D and my relationship - it made me feel like we had one that was about us again.

Now we have a regular Tuesday evening babysitter. It is wonderful. The times we most need a babysitter are the times it is too stressful to organise one so having someone who will show up unless I actively prevent her is great.